Monday, January 14, 2008

Warning: The perils of supporting LFC!

Been a frustrating couple of weeks for a hardcore supporter of LFC like me. Sometimes I do think its much better to watch the paint dry than to witness the kind of gutless, boring, and inept performance from the team. The turmoil surrounding the club and the new owners on the financial situation, along the uncertainty over the gaffer and his sometimes bizarre tactics is not helping ease the minds of everyone connected to the club at all.

I've not felt so much anxiety and an anxiousness surrounding the club through my 20+ years of supporting The Reds; there's just too much happening at the same time to take it all in. Everything that can go wrong seems to be going wrong.

All this have split the support into basically 2 factions - the pessimist / doubters and the Rafa royalists. I've always considered myself a realist who sits on the fence. But lately, my stances have steadily shifted towards the pessimistic dark side. I've seen enough of mediocre performances from us. The football from the past couple of years has been mainly disappointing and BORING. The much loved Liverpool FC style of playing pass and move football has since long died and buried.

With the current state of play from us, I'd pray something gets done to ensure we'll play the way we're meant and suppose to do - dictating play, attack, pass and move. I'll be happy just to see us play proper football, not the shit I've been forced to witness. If there's a need to change the gaffer or root out the dead-woods, please do it!

As much as I love and respect Rafa for the cups that he has won us in the past 4 years, its the "holy-grail" that all LFC supporters want. It's been 18 years and counting since we won the league title, and it doesn't look like it'll end soon. The promise of challenging for the title has fizzled out and from the looks of things, we'll have a fight in our hand to hold on the the 4th spot and qualify for the Champs League next season. Being 12 points behind even with a game in hand, doesn't look much like mounting a serious challenge to me. It's as if we've hit a plateau in our development as a proper footballing team and maybe to improve further, we might need a change at the helm.

Looks like the yearly process of cutting out dead-wood from the team has to continue again. I cannot understand why we seem to attract a heck lot of sub-standard players. The most puzzling part is how come good players can also turn ordinary at the blink or an eye.

Lastly, the new American owners better get their acts right soon, before they screw everyone up any further. They've chewed on more than what they bargained for. Reports of their asking price of 500 million pounds is mind-boggling and it's disturbing that they're trying to make a huge profit out of the club when they've done jack. Their plans to plunge the club into more debt to finance their purchase is a major cause for concern. This means that if anything happens to us financially, they'll easily wash their hands off as the debt is on the club.

It's gonna be choppy and troubled waters ahead for LFC. Hopefully we'll take the right maneuvers to sail out of all this madness and uncertainty. I've certainly had enough of all the shenanigans from us; on and off the field.

3 comments:

anfield devotee said...

And I am the whinger it seems . . .

ps: have put you on me blog roll.

Jon-C said...

Thanks for adding me in ya blog mate. The number of whinger is going up. You should have seen the "interesting" alcohol infused discussion we had after the game. Fed-up is an understatement to how I'm feeling now.

anfield devotee said...

Please take part in poll I have posted on me blog. Would love to see what you have to say. Cheers!